Sunday, July 02, 2006

Colorado Part III: The Shpeal

I think that the trip to CO was well worth it. Andy Pruitt and his assistant Todd Carver hooked me up big time. Here’s how it went.

First, I went into a room with Andy and he asked me some questions about my back problem (how long I have had it, where the pain starts, ect). It was very apparent that Andy knew what he was doing, and understood everything I told him. It was nice to finally talk to someone with that level of knowledge and experience for my particular problem.
Andy had me stand with my back facing him. After looking at me for a few seconds he said, “You ARE twisted aren’t you”. Just by looking at me he could see what asymmetries I have. Amazing. Andy then had one of the nurses take me to get some x-rays of my pelvis. Less than 5 minutes later the x-rays were done and Andy was checking them over. I had some obvious “twisting” going on with my pelvis, which causes everything else (torso, legs, ect) to go out of whack, especially on a bike. Andy saw all he needed, so it was off to the biomechanics laboratory.
Todd had my bike set up on a station trainer in the laboratory, where black curtains surrounded my bike, and six inferred lights hung from the ceiling surrounding my bike. I got on the saddle and started pedaling, while Andy and Todd watched on. In no time Andy and Todd were pointing out my asymmetries. Let me tell you, after almost 4 years of messing around with doctors and chiropractors around here, it was amazing to finally have someone who knew what to look for.
Todd had me get off the bike, so he could put sensors on my legs. He put one on my foot, one on my calf, 2 on the knees and one on the hips. The inferred lights pick up the sensors as I am pedaling, which goes to the computer and is displayed as a stick figure of me pedaling. From there, Todd could see what exactly my body does when I pedal, and what causes the strain to my lower back. Not surprisingly I was totally UN symmetrical and my body was doing a lot of weird things. My right knee was moving too far in on every down stroke, causing my hip to rock to compensate, causing my lower back to work harder. CAUSING THE PAIN!!! Sweet.
Actually, it all came down to my foot; Todd said it is probably what is really to blame. For whatever reason, my right foot does not want to stay flat when I pedal. Rather, it (foot) wants to be in an angle, which causes my knee/leg to move in too much, and so on. It goes from the foot, and up the line to my torso, where it is my back that finally says mercy.
So, Andy put angled shims under the cleats of both of my bike shoes. The cleats are in angles so that both feet would push strait down, instead of at an angles. My right food had 4mm of angleed shims, while my left has 2mm. Todd also moved my seat forward about 2cm. I hopped back on the bike and things felt better. According to the computer, I was not rocking my hips as much, and was turning my knee/leg in significantly less. Todd and Andy both agreed that I was much more centered on the bike now.
Andy gave me the number of a guy in Allentown, who has been working with him (Andy) for almost 20 years. Andy has sent a lot of his clients to this guy. His name is Joel Ninos, and according to Andy, can really help me with getting my body back into balance. Armed with the information that Andy and Todd gave me, Joel will know exactly what to do in correcting some of the stuff.

Well, that pretty much sums it up. BCSM will send me a sheet with ALL of the info that Andy and Todd told me. I am probably forgetting some stuff, but once I get the paper in the mail I will know the exact medical diagnosis.
On Friday I rode my bike around boulder. My back did start to hurt, but it was a different kind of pain. When I stopped to get water, I didn’t have the lingering tenseness that I am so used to. Overall I felt a big difference, and really believe that things will be much better in the coming days.

Best,
TG

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is truely great news, can't wait to see the official document, and get to go for a ride with you and hear the details in person.

tsh

Kyle said...

Timothy Gresh, you are one exciting fellow. I hope to subscribe to your adventures and stay up to date with TimNewz.

Eclectchick said...

Awesome news, Tim!!! Anxious to hear how things are feeling. I hope you'll keep us posted!!

Anonymous said...

over the counter viagra mail order viagra viagra free sites computer find india viagra cialis vicodin how viagra works viagra jelly women's viagra cost of viagra cialis super viagra viagra over the counter viagra free pills buy viagra soft online viagra paypal can viagra causes legs to ache