Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Knowledge, Persistence and Patience

Patience is a virtue.

I have had to be very patient with my lower back pain over the past 5 years. When I was 15 I went to a physical therapist, and at the time had no idea where to start in figuring out the cause of the pain, so a PT was a good start. The PT prescribed some abdominal and lower back workouts, and sent me off. I did the exercises 3-times a week, every week for several months, but no improvements were made in the pain I was having. Well, that didn’t work… back on the bike, more miles... more pain.

I visited a sports medicine doctor who told me to stop riding, or maybe consider only training 2 days a week. Other than his advice, he didn’t have any explanation. So my hope to figuring out the problem dropped. Rather than the doctor just saying: Tim, I don’t know why you get pain when you ride, maybe you should seek help from so and so, he (doctor) just waved away my problem so that I would be out of his hair. As a young bike rider, working hard at a tough sport, the experience of having a doctor telling me to stop was devastating, and (almost) made me want to quit.

More miles, more pain. More doctors, more pain. Patience. Hundreds of dollars on chiropractors, no results. Weeks, Months, nothing.

It is not uncommon for me to need help getting off my bike because my back had completely seized up after a training ride or race. Sometimes I can barely stand up strait or lift a leg over the seat. Regardless of the pain, I would finish the race in the lead group of riders. I wonder how I would have finished if my back had not hurt. Having that kind of pain is an enormous disadvantage. I have to train longer, and harder to become fit enough to cope with the pain AND do well in races. I suppose this is why I am not giving up on cycling, because I want to know what I am actually capable of.

Some athletes talk about being “100%”. With my weird problem, I have never been 100%. Frankly, I don’t know what 100% is or feels like. A bike rider could fall and break his or her collarbone, and in 8-weeks the bone will be healed and the rider will be back to “100%”. I personally could take 10 years off from cycling and get back on the bike and have pain. It won't heal itself. It’s always there. How can I fight something I cannot even see, and will not go away untill it is discovered? The only way to beat it is through knowledge, persistence and patience.

Best,
TG

2 comments:

Eclectchick said...

As you could guess, Tim, I really hear you. I was just talking about this with a fellow triathlete just yesterday. We were discussing that when you train at the volume people like you, me or our fellow nutty athletic enthusiasts do, it's always something. It can be small or major, mabye just uncomfortable or downright debilitating, a stress fracture or a skin rash from chlorine - it's ALWAYS something. You are right though - knowledge, persistence, patience (and plain using our heads) will win. Just keep on keeping on - you're going to beat this! Go get 'em, tiger!!!

Anonymous said...

that pic of u makes u look like a god or sumthin...

your pal,
Chad
Ciao amico