Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Update

What's up?


It's been a while since Belize. A few people have told me that they have been checking out the blog that I never update. So since there are some people reading this thing i'll update...

So far the season has had it's ups and downs. That's bike racing though, nothing to get bent out of shape over... The first real races of the season (A few races in New Jersey, Lower Providence, Ephrata, ect ect) have been a big learning experience for our team. We are learning how to work together and utilize each others strength. The biggest thing I have learned about myself is that I need to be more attentive and aggressive. I guess by nature I am just a laid back, nice guy. I tend to let other rider move in front of me and I don't take the opportunities to make more things happen in races. I am trying to improve on both of these things. Basically I have the engine, I just need the driver....

This past weekend I hope was a bit of a break through for me.

At the Turkey Hill Classic, I got into a 15 man break on the second lap. It turned out to be the winning move. I was with the break for around 65-miles. I felt great and didn't miss many pulls... Unfortunately I cramped up really bad with 2 laps to go and lost contact with the break, which was down to 9 guys by then... It was a bummer! My teammate Dan Wilson, was with me in the break and stayed with it till the end, and got 3rd in the sprint. Overall I felt like I was working pretty hard in the break. Maybe a bit too hard.

The next day in Philly was the memorial hall crit. The team did a great job of controlling the race. I covered a bunch of moves and made it into one break that had the potential to be race winning.... In the end, Mike, Dan and Fred helped get Karl to the front with 2 to go. Karl was the first guy going through the last turn, but was out sprinted in a drag race to the finish.

This weekend I am taking off from racing, but will be back the following week with Union Gove. I hope to do well there. I remember 4-years ago I did this race. It was my first cat 1/2/3 race. There was a break well up the road, and the field had already given up hope of pulling it back. I went for it on the last lap and finished solo for 12th place. My heart rate was around 205 bpm for those 3 miles i was away. After I crossed the finish, I threw up. I think I was sick then for 2 or 3 days after... The race has a bit of sentimental value for me now, I guess... Plus it's 4 miles from my house.

That's all for now.

TG

No comments: